Pattern suggestions for summer tops?

chickenmomApril 15, 2013

I want to make some lightweight, woven cotton tops for summer. I'm trying to find a pattern that has tucks in the front which open up at empire waist level to give a loose fit. Pullover, or button down the front would be fine. I'd prefer sleeves. I'm having no luck finding a pattern that I thought would be basic. I've seen shirts like this at Cold Water Creek, Chicos, etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lesyeuxbleu

I just love CWC and Chico's..... and I am always looking for cool summer tops.

When you say it opens up at the empire waist - do you mean open as in more room up top...or open as in more room in the hip area?

The tucks in the front..do you mean the ?backward? pleats at the neckline?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:21PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Most wovens aren't pullovers as they have no stretch to get over your shoulders....

I much prefer knits as they are so comfortable....

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:54AM
chickenmom

I guess I should have said "pleats" instead of tucks. What I have seen are pleats that are sewn from the shoulders on each side down to just below the bust and then the fullness of the released fabric gives kind of a "skirt" that is loose and cool. Knits are great for stretch, but they are too hot for the weather here----Texas with days and days of over 100 degrees some summers. You are right about the pullover idea, Annie. Button down the front will probably be the way to go. Thanks to you both for your ideas!

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:36AM
chickenmom

This shows the pleated idea I'm looking for. I'd rather have a regular collar instead of the V neck, but the pleats are right. I was thinking just 4 or 5 pleats not so many small ones. Maybe I can just find a good shirt pattern and figure out how to add in the pleats? I'd much rather just find a pattern like this.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Small washcloths
I am fussy about big terrycloth washcloths that are...
barb_roselover_in
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™