How to insulate around garage door?

kudzu9September 24, 2005

I'm in a 4-year-old house with a 3-car garage. I'm using one bay for my workshop. The garage is unheated, but attached to the house. We have mild winters here (Seattle), but it does get down to the 40's in the garage during the coldest part of winter. I'm looking for suggestions on sealing around the garage doors to keep out drafts so I can be more comfortable working out there in the winter. The doors are 5-panel steel doors with a rubber weather seal at the bottom. When the door comes down into place it makes a pretty good fit around the sides and top, but it's just the face of the door resting (pretty closely) against a wooden jam. What can I add around the edges of the doors to prevent drafts better and still have no problems with raising and lowering the garage doors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom999

Use the same insulating strip you would use on a regular door. As the door closes it will sandwich this "weatherstrip" between the door and the wood frame. You can do this on all three sides of the door.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 6:33PM
Michael_H

You can also replace the stops with new stops that have vinyl weatherstrips that help seal around the opening. Then, as Tom says, add the foam or felt tape.

Michael

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 8:29PM
measure_twice

Drape sheet plastic around the workshop bay from ceiling to floor, and let a little extra drape on the floor. It will keep out drafts and keep workshop dust from migrating. Be careful to maintain adequate ventilation.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 9:59AM
GDS_

If you add foam tape to the wood-stop that the door rubs against as it closes, you will tear it off.
There is weather stripping specifically made to properly weather strip a sectional garage door. In more northern climates, you could buy it a HD or similar store. Down where you are, they may not carry it as a regular shelf item. Your local garage door company would have it.
It comes with a steel retainer with a vinyl finn, or is available in a Polly/Vinyl that we prefer because it's easier to work with. It can be cut to proper length with an electric mitre saw and it can be finite adjusted with a sharp knife. Install it with color co-ordinated aluminum nails.
If you drop into a door company, they usually have doors on display in the showroom and you could see how the weather stripping is installed, and pick their brains on any little installation tricks.
Properly installed, you will be happy with the results.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™