Hairline Plaster Crack Repair

CassandraSeptember 8, 2010

I moved into my 1913 home two years ago and painted the living and dining rooms not long after moving in. This summer a number of hairline cracks appeared on the ceiling and a few walls. This being Minnesota we had the usual freezing winter and steamy summer--real extremes of weather. We also pulled out some very painted-on windows in these rooms for sash repair earlier this summer. I assume one or both of these things caused the cracks. The question is how to repair them? They are truly hairline cracks--it really seems like just the paint has cracked open a tiny bit. The plaster on both sides of the crack is all quite secure. So I don't see any need to gouge them out/deepen them to fill, or any need for tape. I'm thinking that I could just rub a tiny bit of flexible caulk in them with my finger, prime and paint. Or maybe skip the caulk and just prime and paint. On the other hand, I could just pretend they don't exist (nothing exists these days if I don't have my distance glasses on!) and check back in a few months to see if they've grown. Any opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I'd go with the 'watchful waiting' approach.
If you want to fill the cracks and repaint, I'd use drywaller's joint compound rather than caulk.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™