Fixing gaps between concrete blocks in basement

valzone5September 10, 2008

This is a cross post from the basements forum. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am trying to buy my first home and don't want to get burned. Thanks for any help you can give.

I am considering buying a house that has a concrete block foundation. The basement has some wetness in it from the last heavy rain storm that we had. You can see daylight between some of the concrete blocks. I can't get a contractor to return my phone calls to get an estimate or idea of what it would take to repair the foundation (too much work & not enough contractors in our area - they turn work away).

I know that it's impossible to give me a definite idea as to what I am facing without seeing the basement....but can anyone tell me if this is *likely* going to be a very expensive repair. Can the mortar be replaced from the inside? I assume that waterpoofing from inside is impossible.

I live in the northeast (above Maine) - very cold winters, with lots of snow that melts in spring.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newenglandbuilder

You don't say how much of the "foundation" is above-ground, but when you speak of seeing daylight, I assume that at least some of it is. The mortar between the blocks may have eroded with time and a mason should be able to tuck point between the blocks without difficulty. That which is exposed to the weather would have more probability to wear than that which is bermed by the earth.

Most concrete block, or more accurately, cinder block is somewhat porous and having it proofed is probably a good idea. Call someone that specializes in concrete work, particularly foundations or masonry.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 10:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valzone5

Thanks newenglandbuilder. There is about a foot - foot and a half, above ground.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
HydroShield Sealant?
I have some granite that is failing to maintain stain...
jaxo
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
thebigad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™