building permitand roofing

myomiSeptember 16, 2013

why do some contractors avoid bldg. permits on roofing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roof35

I suppose it depends on the locality. Around here, each city appears to be different. Some don't require a permit unless you replace sheathing/decking. Others require a permit for any work. And still others require one _if_ it's an improvement.

But then, every city around here requires one to be insured and some require bonding also, if a contractor is pulling the permit. All of them require a contractor to register annually with the supporting documents, of course the contractor must pay their annual fee to be registered.

A contractor who flat out refuses to pull a permit, when one is required, probably doesn't have insurance and couldn't get a permit anyhow.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 20:27

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 8:17PM
southerncanuck

Roof35 is bang on with the response. If a builder doesn't want to pull a permit if one is required show him the door.

Check with your building department.

Did you know if a contractor isn't insured and one of his workers Falls of the roof you are liable for him or her. So permit or no permit check he has insurance by calling the insurer to verify what he tells you.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 4:18AM
bus_driver

I know one city that does "require" permits for reroofing. But they do not inspect the work at all, do not visit the worksite. The permit is just, in this case, extra revenue for the city.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™