Best way to replace stubborn ceiling tiles?

brussoSeptember 23, 2009

I have a suspended ceiling in the basement. Several have water stains and I am finally getting around to replacing them. The first one was tough to replace. It didn't fit in very easily. I had to pop up its neighbor to get the first one in. Then, the second one wouldn't go in. So, I popped its neighbor. This went on for four tiles. Then, I broke one. I thought this would take 15 minutes. Instead, I missed the first half of a football game!!!! And, I am still not done. Help!!! Is there a trick to this? They just do not go in as easily as they are supposed to. These tiles are 2 x 4.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Are they of a tongue-and-groove design? Or are they just supposed to drop into a support frame?

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 9:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Since you emailed me that it was a support frame, my answer is that normally they just drop in. I'm wondering if the new tiles are just a little bit different in dimensions from what you have. Generally these tiles are interchangeable, but, if the factory made theirs 1/16" oversize compared to what you have, and your support frame is a tight fit to start with, it could be a problem, especially if you try to insert several tiles adjacent to one another. Do a careful measurement of the part of the tiles that drops through the frame and compare the dimension to what you have. If the new ones are larger, your choices would be to get a different brand, or to run the tile across a table saw with a slightly raised blade to slightly reduce the dimensions of the oversized area that is supposed to drop through the frame. (That would mean having one or two exposed edges, though, which you would have to try to hide with white paint.)

Sorry, that's the best I can suggest.

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Stranges lines in frost pattern on roof
I have these lines on the roof when there is a frost....
cswartzwelder
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™