Aligning opening in exterior wall

jerry_njSeptember 23, 2011

Am am preparing to cut a rectangular opening (3.25" by 10") in an exterior wall to vent a range hood.

After transferring the cutout template onto the inside drywall I think the next step would be to drill (using an 8" or longer wood drill) a hole in each of the four corners that reaches through the wall and through the sheathing. The problem I see is getting the drill to pass through the 4" wall space to the exterior sheathing and be aligned with in a perpendicular (horizontal, as well as horizontal yaw) path. My drill has a level on it, but that is only one of the two directions that have to be perpendicular. I may try to make use of my hand-drill drill stand to see if I can place it against the wall to guide the drilling operation.

I think I can also make the opening in the sheathing about 1/4" bigger on all sides to compensate for errors in alignment. The vent housing has a flashing/sheild about 2" wide to cover the opening in the sheathing.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Cut the inside hole, 1/4" larger. Use a square to mark the corners on the inside of the exterior wall, then drill your holes.

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 8:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerry_nj

Thanks, sound simple enough...wonder why it didn't occur to me : ) That's why I come here.

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™