roofing advice

tjcorneilSeptember 23, 2008

We had a new roof put on just under two years ago and have leaking at all vents, piping and and the edges of our ridge vent. We have notified the roofing company,but have yet to talk to him. We also have had a problem in the past with the roofer over boards we felt should of been replaced when the roof was done. These boards are wet with mold and he claims it is because our bathroom vents are vented to the attic and it is a moisture problem. I find it hard to believe that two people can cause enough steam to cause this much damage. Is there some advice for us when dealing with the roofer. The roof was also put on as a result of wind and hail damage and covered by insurance. We feel since the roof is under warrenty that the roof should be redone totally and correctly. Thank you, TJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mightyanvil

Get the bathroom vents out of the attic or stop using them; they have to terminate outside. It doesn't take much moisture to allow mold to grow on wood in a dark poorly ventilated space.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 8:51PM
justnigel

What mightyanvil said: fix the venting. I don't know what region you're in, but in cold climates like Canada, we've seen new houses torn down because of exactly that mistake.

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 6:02PM
shadetree_bob

Like they said FIX the venting problem, what you think are leaks could be condensation. It does not have to be steam to cause condensation, just a difference in the air temperature, higher or lower, that you are dumping into the attic. If your bathroom vents come on every time you turn on the light that could be enough to cause your problems.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™