Pillow Inserts/Forms what is the right size?

ashbrooke2July 16, 2010

My pillow covers are 18X18 - do I buy 18X18 pillow forms or 20X20? Are pillow inserts made to be the exact size or do you order up? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakleyok

Are you talking about decorative pillows? I just bought some covers and now I'm having a brain fog...I think the size I bought was the "European" which are a perfect square, I think 20x20. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But when I did a search all I found was 20 x 20 for the square pillows.

When my covers came in my 20 x 20 pillow seemed too small for them.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 12:20PM
ashbrooke2

Yes, they are decorative pillows in a perfect square. I have found numerous options of inserts and I am trying to avoid buying the wrong thing. Sounds like, I need 20X20 pillow inserts for 18X18 covers. Thanks

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 12:37PM
blubird

The pillow inserts should always be larger than the covers. So, for an 18x18 cover, a 20x20 insert should fill it perfectly, unless you deliberately want a soft and floppy pillow.

Helene

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 1:48PM
adh673

Helene is right and I learned that the hard way after looking at throw pillows I didnt like *for some reason* for two years.

I just ordered all new faux down inserts for my couch and I LOVE them. Ordered them 2 inches bigger but could have gone another 2 I think- maybe. Anyway, they are great and were only like 7 dollars each for 24 by 24 inch. Found them online.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 8:23PM
elsa42

Depends what type of filling you want. If the pillowcase is 18 x 18 and you want foam, get 18 x 18 otherwise it will feel a bit too firm. If you plan to use duck feather pillows, get the 20 x 20. Down is really soft, so you could go bigger still.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 11:33PM
mitchdesj

oakley, euro size is 25 by 25, used for bed shams usually, although I use mine on a sofa.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 6:24AM
oakleyok

Thanks Mitch! I prefer that size for my sofa in case I ever need to take a catnap. :)

Blubird, I sure wish I knew to buy a couple of inches smaller in the cover before I bought a pair.

Seriously, does anyone know of an online store that sells a lot of textiles, like pillow covers with many colors and patterns to choose from?

I'm looking for checks and plaids and they're really hard to find, or not the color I want.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 12:46PM
deliamary

I found this while searching for an answer regarding pillows. I appreciate everyone's input! This was the last website I expected to find this kind of information!! :0)

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Help me style my living room!
I have no idea what to pair with this tan couch. I...
homestyles2
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
Can you ID this trim?
Does anyone know who makes this trim? I am trying to...
Snbtwins
JCPenny Linden Street Furniture Slip Cover?
Does anyone have the JCPenny Linden Street Furniture...
daisymc
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™