Microhoods - distance from range to microhood?

gardenwebberMay 27, 2008

I've tried searching, but cannot find this info. What should the distance be between the microhood and the rangetop? Our cabinet maker called this morning to let us know that as it is, we have 18" between ours. We have a couple hours to call him back to change this if we desire. Is 18" enough clearance for pots, etc, but close enough to vent?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdechris

My KD told me that 18" is typical however we decided to go higher on ours as I frequently use tall pots & wanted more clearance room. We moved ours up to 21"

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 8:48AM
teedup1

The higher you put the microhood, the less comfortable it is to load and unload things in and out of it.
The bottom of our OTR microwave/convection oven is 56 inches from the floor (that's 19-1/2 inches from the countertop, or 18-1/2 inches from the tops of the range burners).

I, being 5'-5" tall, would have liked the microwave hood to have been one inch lower.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 9:29AM
gardenwebber

Thanks guys - we're going with 19". (I'm tall!) We took a box and experimented with different heights and pots and spoons... So much to consider: The size of your workspace on top of the range, plus the ease of using the microwave, plus the ease of reaching the cabinet ABOVE the microwave.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™