coverstitch machines

adkgrammaApril 20, 2010

I've been giving some thought to buying a machine that will do coverstitch, the stitch used in t-shirt hems (2 straight stitches on top and a coverstitch on the bottom). I know some sergers can convert but you can also buy a machine that only does coverstitch and chain and does not trim. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murphy_zone7

for what it's worth...I would get a serger. It can do lots of things, lots of different stitches, as well as coverstitch: some can do coverstitch some not, so be sure to check out what machine can do what. I don't know anything about a coverstitch only machine, but I would not want something that only did one thing. I really like to multi- task myself, and want my "equipment" to do the same! With a serger, you can do the coverstitch when you need that, plus have the ability to do other things as well.
I have an Imagine serger by Babylock and can not believe all I can do with that little machine.
Just my opinion....
Murphy

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 6:02AM
sherrmann

I have a serger from 1976 that does not do a coverstitch, but I can fake it by serging the hem edge, folding up the hem and pressing, and sewing the hem with my sewing machine and a double needle on the right side of the garment. It looks exactly like a cover stitch from both sides, but it's a two-step process instead of one.

If you have a sewing machine but not a serger, I agree with murphy - get a serger if you can. New ones probably have coverstitches built in. BUT - You could probably zig-zag the edge on a regular machine, then turn it up and use the double needle for a pretty close approximation of a cover stitch.

Sherry

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 10:22AM
adkgramma

I do have a serger but it's older and doesn't have a coverstitch. I used to work in a business where I ran a commercial coverstitch,two needle hemming machine. Only recently did I find out that they're available for home use. I would consider a new serger with a coverstitch if it wasn't too hard to change. Murphy, how hard is it to go from serger to coverstitch? Thanks

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 4:51PM
rannrich

go to www.patternreview.com, there you will see lots of reviews with regard to all types of machines. I have 2 sergers, one that converts and one that doesn't and quite honestly I would prefer the separate cover stitch machine over the serger that converts.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 12:55PM
murphy_zone7

Sorry...been offline for a few days and just now catching up.
I don't know how hard it would be to go from serger to coverstitch. I only have a serger and have never used a coverstitch machine. I do know that some sergers have a coverstitch function and others do not.
I was only suggesting that you look at a serger that does a coverstitch instead a coverstitch machine that just does coverstitch.
To save some time...go to websites of serger manufacturers like Babylock, Janome, White, and others and get an idea of what machines will do a coverstitch and what machines won't.
Or just do a google search for each type of machine and see what's out there....Good luck and happy shopping!
Murphy

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 6:04AM
adkgramma

Thanks, Murphy. I thought your serger was one that did both serging and coverstitch. I've been doing my research and I'm going to look into a Brother 2340cv. It only does coverstitch,is about $300 and has good reviews. I'm a little hesitant about buying online without actually seeing and trying the machine so I'll see if I can find a Brother dealer in my area.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 4:40AM
raddish6

Only 5 or more thread serger do coverstitch. You can buy just a coverstitch machine. I have the Baby Lock Imagine Serger and the Baby Lock Coverstitch. I would have had to buy the 8 thread to get the coverstitch or the stand alone coverstitch.

Pamie G.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 6:24PM
changouno_live_com

Per comments that the coverstich is exactly like the two needle stitch on a regular sewing machine: it is not even close. The two needle on a regular machine is a single zigzag and the coverstich is a looping stitch that does a double zigzag. the cover stitch is a professional finish and holds better and covers the edges of the hem better.

also I have found from experience that n0n industrial machines like Janome and Husqvarna will not sew well on spandex and especially on medium to thick materials...jeans, or when folding a serged hem or over elastic. Those machines will skip and even lower brans of indurtrial machines are fussy, overly sensative and get out of timing easliy.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Can anyone help identify these fabrics? {PB Brooklyn in Lavender}
Hi there, I absolutely love the PB Brooklyn Crib bedding...
audreyrama
Upper Thread will not pick up Bobbin Thread.
Hi, I have a Brother XL3100 and the upper thread will...
sweetnlow
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Sewing eyelet material onto T shirt to make it longer?
The eyelet material is not stretch. Of course the T...
hobby_libby
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Sponsored Products
LumenArt | ACL.03 Wall or Ceiling Light
$210.00 | YLighting
42" Matthews Irene 3-Blade Walnut-Chrome Hugger Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Full/Queen Rosary Quilt 92" x 96"
$414.00 | Horchow
Replacement Outdoor Seating Cushions in Maynard Bliss
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Window Curtains Lined from DiaNoche Designs by Angelina Vick - City II Dallas Te
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Red Vanilla Vanilla Fluted Champagne Glasses - Set of 6 - 40729-190
$32.17 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™