fabric for Tablemats

shwetagargApril 2, 2007

Hello

I am looking for a fabric to make table mats . Can anyone suggest me ? Actaully my dining table is a bit of a unique size. So I am unable to find any in market.

Plz suggest.and also the edging i shud give to it

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57

Any tightly woven fabric will make placemats, if that's what you're asking about. For easier cleaning, you can spray them with a few coats of Scotchguard when they're complete.

If you're talking about protective pads for your table, that's a whole different story.

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 6:21AM
shwetagarg

Hey Dian
nope i wasnt talking abt the protective pads. I wanted to know abt the mats cloth only.
Do u know if it wud be available in Joann Fabrics or not.
And wht shud I do abt the edging. I mean shud I go for satin ribbon or shud i just plain fold them n stitch?
suggest plz

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 2:00PM
budster

Sorry for jumping in Dian...shwetagarg, I'd suggest getting some bias binding...if you want to bind the edges. Learning to attach it will be another good skill. Otherwise if you are using two pieces of fabric, you can always sew them right sides together, leave a space for turning them right side out, poke out nice crisp edges and corners, press, slip stitch the opening and then run a couple of lines of stitching all aound the inside edges - could be in a nice contrast color even to stand out. Then you can spray them with scotchguard if you want. I don't and just toss them into the wash when stained ..... I always make a couple extra so I can keep a set on the table. I wash and iron them with a slight spray of spray starch to keep them crisp. I like to use the heavier cottons but have also done them from some tea towels I liked. You can make your own template in the shape you wish...oval, square or octagonal. You will have to decide what you like best. You might want to try with an inexpensive cotton and make one test one (or four) before buying some expensive fabric for a set of eight or ten. My apologies for jumping in. Budster - oh and I had some fabrics left and made a long runner for the middle of the table as well. (Just another thought)

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 5:35PM
krissie55

Some upholstry fabric make great placemats. Stitch about 1" around and then fringe.

Drapery fabrics make nice plaemats also. Check out drapery outlet stores.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 4:21PM
jaybird

I make place mats, but my favorites are finger tip towels that you can purchase is a jillion different colors!! They are fringed on the ends and can be tossed in the washer and dryer! Even though I wash them often, it takes a LONNNNg time for them to fade!! They are GREAT!!

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Sponsored Products
Stonegate Designs | Classique 10 Inch Square Pendant Light
$534.24 | YLighting
Embroidered Chevron Throw Pillow - Navy & White
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Patch Magic Black Lab Toss Pillow 16 x 16-Inch
$43.00 | Bellacor
Blue Flower Gloveables
$11.99 | zulily
Rowley Chair
$2,399.00 | Horchow