Pattern for convertible pants

new-beginningApril 18, 2014

Ready made pants like this are pricey, i.e. $70.00 or so. If you are not familiar with this type, it is pants where the lower portion unzips, leaving you with above the knee shorts - ideal for travel when one might encounter cool day/hot day within a few hours.

I have a trip planned this Fall to Costa Rica and these pants were suggested by the tour operator. I realllllly don't want to spend $70.00 for pants I might never wear again when the trip is over.

Anyone ever seen a pattern for these? or any ideas on what type pattern to purchase and then modify? straight legs I would guess.

I am an experience sewing person (more than 50 years sewing).

Carolyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clt3

Green pepper pattern #524.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 10:59AM
msmeow

Here is a tutorial for altering an existing pattern.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Convertible Pants

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:44PM
new-beginning

thanks folks - I already have a favorite pants pattern so I'll try Donna's tutorial just as soon as the weather gets too hot to work in the yard.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:41PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Check out sierra trading post...their prices are less than $70. I'm thinking for a woman, a pair of pants with wider leg that can just be rolled up...maybe with tabs and a button can be an alternative...and that way you won't have to worry about where to put the rest of the pant leg...

Not that her style works with a super casual vacation, but if you haven't seen the Vivienne Files blog, you might take a look. She shows how many outfits you can get from packing how many pieces, including what to wear on the plane. Some of her packing wardrobes are based around LLBean stuff so it can be more casual...but it gives you some great ideas for efficient packing....you may not need the convertible pants at all....

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:28AM
new-beginning

Annie - the Vivienne stuff (haven't looked yet) may be great for next year (European River cruise), but the tour company for Costa Rica specifically suggested the convertible pants as some days we will have warm (jungle) and cool (mountains) in same day.

If anyone wants to see the tour I am talking about, go to Caravan.com and look at the Costa Rica tour. I am going in November. Carolyn

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™