Vintage Sewing Machine Cabinet

MzPurple07April 26, 2013

I just recently found a sewing machine table that my great grandmother used. I can't find the actual machine, but the cabinet is in good condition. However, I have no idea how to find out the manufacturer of the table. I found an instruction manual and some original sewing accessories inside one of drawers of the table along with a certificate of warranty from the National Sewing Machine Company dated 1937. The instruction manual says THE REVERSEW A SEWING MACHINE.

I'm totally clueless as to what I should do. Someone told me that the actual machine may be inside the cabinet, but I don't think. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancingirl_gw

Someone said the machine may be inside??? Wouldn't you know if that were true? Why don't you post a picture of it and maybe someone will recognize & identify it for you. I've never seen a cabinet that could hide a machine so well that you can't fond it! I have an old Singer cabinet (not treadle) that I identified after researching Singer machines.
Good luck!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:50AM
cooksnsews

Do you really need to know who made it? Whoever did so, seems to have made it to fit a National Reversew. National ceased production in 1957. It is very unlikely that a machine of any other make will fit in your cabinet, as back then, makers were very careful to make all cases/cabinets brand specific so that their cabs could not be recycled by comsumers to house a new machine of a different brand.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:40PM
MzPurple07

Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions. While I haven't found the actual sewing machine, just finding more information about the cabinet is wonderful, especially since I can attribute more concrete facts to this cabinet besides it being my great-grandmother's.
I will continue to do more investigation, and once again thank you. Oh, and if anyone has more valuable information on this type of machine or cabinet, please let me know.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:42PM
dancingirl_gw

There is actually a discussion on this very machine right here on GardenWeb.. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sewing/msg050057044786.html
Maybe it will be helpful to you. I would venture to say that your machine manual is probably more valuable than the cabinet--except for it's family history, of course!

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Sewing eyelet material onto T shirt to make it longer?
The eyelet material is not stretch. Of course the T...
hobby_libby
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™