How to repair large hole in concrete wall

keazinSeptember 21, 2007

We have a concrete wall in our back yard where water damage has caused a large piece of the concrete to break away. The hole is about the size of a frisbee. I want to try and repair it myself. Any info on how to repair it is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

if this is a retaining wall, you need to fix the problem ont he other side of the wall first. if this is just a wall, above ground on both sides, you can mix up some concrete patch and fill the hole back in. for that size vertical hole, you may need to brace a board over the hole to hold in the patch until it dries.

    Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 5:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You should also consider using hydraulic cement, which sets up quickly and is meant to be used in wet situations where regular patching materials might be compromised as they set.

    Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 1:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hydraulic cement expands slightly as it sets.
It is not a good idea for a large patch since it can lead to cracking of the other material.
The speed of set is to prevent it from washing away before it can set (it can even make a set under water).
If the wall is not holding anything I would fill it in with some bricks, then use mortar to finish.
If it is a retaining wall you can still brick it up, but you must provide a mechanical lock for the patch to prevent it from being pushed out.

    Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 2:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Or you could just shove some expanded metal in, support or attach it somehow, and smear on some morter or patch-crete.

    Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 7:04PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
Sponsored Products
Casablanca 4-Light Cottage White Fixture with Cased White Glass 99089.0
Home Depot
Tech Lighting Rae 24 1/2" Wide Nickel LED Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Whitehaus WHKN1078-1116 Ceramic Bathroom Basin with Wall Mount Counter
$779.00 | Blue Bath
Double Towel Rack
Signature Hardware
French Embassy Wall Clock
$51.95 | Bellacor
La Fenice Wall Sconce by Omikron Design
$592.80 | Lumens
Access Lighting Neon C62230BSLFREN1218B Vanity - C62230BSLFREN1218B
$156.00 | Hayneedle
Sea Gull Lighting Hermitage Antique Brushed Nickel Outdoor Wall Lantern
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™