having cotton laminated?

pitpatMarch 19, 2013

Hi,
I was debating whether to post this here or in the home dec forum and thought I'd try here first. I would like some laminated cotton (not oilcloth) to use as a kitchen tablecloth, but none of the non-toxic prints I have seen will work with the print curtains I made. There is a perfect coordinating fabric (it's a Kate Spain for Moda), but it is not available in laminate. I was wondering if that's something you can have done. Like could I buy the fabric and take it somewhere? I don't know anything about the process, so maybe this is a ridiculous idea. Maybe one can really only get it from the manufacturer. If that's the case, I'm out of luck, but I figured I'd ask around.
TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Why not just use the plain cotton and then buy a piece of the clear plastic to go over the top of it.Several years ago they used to sell the clear vinyl that you could iron on the fabric to laminate it.But if memory serves me correctly,it only came in one width,which I don't think would be wide enough for what you want,and I'm not sure they even sell it anymore.
Kathi

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 1:08AM
pitpat

I used to do that, but I found out it is not food safe :(

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:15AM
clt3

There are companies that do this, but it's pricey. There is also a product that you can use yourself - Heat 'n Bond iron on vinyl. You do know that the Moda fabric would have to be seamed together to make it wide enough for a table cloth.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:35AM
pitpat

Good point about the fabric width. Maybe I should just abandon the idea and try to find a laminated cotton tablecloth in a color/pattern that matches OK instead of trying to get the "perfect" one.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 1:19PM
Annie Deighnaugh

You can scotch guard the fabric to give it some protection, or you can make place mats instead and then use the iron on vinyl as i will cover the place mats.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™