mixing woods - HELP

missbooshay511July 25, 2012

Hi, We are doing some updating in the house. We currently have all oak interior doors and trim (oak overload!). We are going to install hardwood floors soon and the question I have is this: Can I replace the oak trim - baseboards and quarter round -- with WHITE baseboards? We plan on leaving the interior doors and the trim around the doors oak but have the baseboards white. Will this look ok to mix the woods? Do you have any suggestions? I really don't want to paint the doors and trim around the doors white...it's way too much work!

Thanks!

Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cottagecindy

My old house had white baseboards with oak floors but the wood went under the molding since it was original. I think all quarter rounds should be the color/stain of the floor.

but you want to keep trim/moulding around the room and doors in oak? They would look better white (to even out the baseboards)

I guess it all depends on how big room is, how many doors/windows....and how much time you have on your hands to paint :)
If you really want to keep the doors oak, then you should leave all else alone. keep it simple with all oak.
The white only baseboard will POP big time unless you have WHITE walls,ceilings,furniture.....

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:12PM
camlan

Most of the houses that I've seen with a mix of painted and wood surfaces have all the trim painted--baseboards, window trim, crown molding, and the trim around the doors. Then the floors and doors are left plain wood. Or one side of a door might be painted to match the decor in a particular room.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:38PM
live_wire_oak

What style home is this? If this is a Craftsman with nice oak trim, it's pretty much heresy to paint any of it. You won't get wood overload if the floors are a different shade than the trim. Try a browner and slightly darker color on the floors.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
sectional sofa help
hi cross posting this from furniture b/c I really could...
lmgch
Need Light for Kitchen Table
So, I am posting old photos of my kitchen (it has since...
sheilaaus122
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - I hate it!!
I'm painting a few pieces of furniture for my daughters...
aggierose
Anyone want a crystal chandelier?
My BIL recently passed away. He had no wife or children....
badgergal
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Burst of Light Green 3 ft. 3 in.
Home Depot
Floral Garden Mix-N-Match Tiffany Bronze One Light Mini Pendant
$130.00 | Bellacor
Hampton Bay Lamps Mix & Match Metallic Burgundy Chic Metallic Table Lamp Base
$22.97 | Home Depot
Pink Flip n' Pour Yogurt Container Set
$11.99 | zulily
Exaco Slatted Rain Barrel - 212200
$769.99 | Hayneedle
Sjanse Chair in Purple
$169.99 | Dot & Bo
Wizard of Oz Engraved Signature Collage