Cleaning stone accent bricks on house

Damian_1999September 4, 2013

My house has stone accent bricks on the sides of my door and windows. I am not sure of the type of stone it is.

The stones vary in color from a pink, brown, orange, and tan.Most of them along the tops of each block have a blackness to them.

I recently tried to pressure wash the stone to see if the black would come off. Going over each stone lightly, small spots of all coloring would get removed from the stone. Leaving a very bright tan color.

I sprayed on one block with more detail and that block is now about 90% completely bright tan.

My concern is that these stones might of had some "man-made" outer shell finish and pressure washing just removed all the coloring of the stones forever.

The house is 60 years old and I don't believe the outside brick work was ever cleaned before.

I do not want to go forward and continue cleaning them until I am sure what type of stone it is and if the pressure washing results will have a permanent effect to the block coloring.

I wasn't sure how to upload more than one pic, so I will also post some replies with close up photos of some of the stone blocks after pressure washing

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Damian_1999

block with spots of the bright tan from pressure washing

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:25PM
Damian_1999

This is the block that I tried to clean in detail and it is now about 90% bright tan

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:28PM
Damian_1999

These thinner blocks seem to be of a different material and seem to flake a layer away from pressure washing

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:30PM
Damian_1999

Some of the blocks have very nice color to them like this one, and I am afraid that the pressure washer will ruin it.

I do have more pictures if they would be need to determine the type of stone it is and what procedure I should do with them.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:38PM
palimpsest

That looks like Perma-Stone which was an early manufactured stone veneer. The color variations are only on the surface.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:04PM
Damian_1999

I don't think it is veneer because they are full size stone blocks and its actual mortar between them.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™