Adding a bra to a low back dress

amyjMarch 23, 2006

I am looking for instructions about how to sew in a bra (not just bra cups) into a formal (wedding) dress. My daughter's seamstress has told her she needs to wear a bra, but adhesive bras irritate her skin and we have not been able to find a non-adhesive bra that stays concealed. The dress has a back that dips low.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmc_97

The latest issue of Threads magazine (May 2006, #124) has an entire article about bras: sewing them into dresses, building them for a specific dress, and hiding them.

The Threads website has two pictures of different solutions for low back dresses:

Build a bra supported by shoulder straps.

Or, use a waist stay (basically, just an elastic belt that you wear under the dress), add bra extenders to the waist stay, adjust (lengthen) the bra straps of a regular bra and hook them to the bra extenders attached to the waist stay, crossing them over at the lower back.

Use the link below to see pictures of both of these methods, and a picture of loops sewn inside a dress to keep the bra in place.

There are lots more pictures and info in the actual magazine article, but the few pictures that they use on their website just happen to address your problem.

CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: Threads magazine

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

When I made my daughter's prom dress last year I purchased a bra, cut off the back and straps and sewed it into the dress between the lining and the face fabric. I had my daughter try the dress on with the bra under it and pinned it in place, then hand sewed it to the lining.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™