Are you an 'Yah, but.' or a 'Ah, but'?

budsterMarch 23, 2009

Ran into this the other day when out shopping with a friend. I spied at a local discount store some packages of colored leaves - think floral vines minus the stem part and you will have what I mean - these are multi colored in lovely green, russet and yellow hues - fall/October... get the picture? I took one look and gathered a package of each color in my hot little hand. My friend inquired whatever was I going to do with those....when I spied them I thought....wonderful to use for applique on some totebags, around the edge accent of a sweatshirt I am going to cut apart and make into a non-button type jacket - then I pictured toggle closings with a toggle sewn on top of the leaf...Ok maybe that one isn't clear but I can see it, then a small wall quilt with a yellow garden basket and a bunch of these leaves piled in the top.....then I thought table runner.....with a narrow green stem joining all these leaves twined around the edge......when I started to imagine all these things my friends only reply to each idea was a "Yah but they are only for flower arrangements".....and I keep seeing other things. She said they'd never wash...(they did)...might run...didn't but I could see a spray of color adding to the effect of each leaf especially on the runner. No, she couldn't put me off and I then got to thinking when I got home, how many of us are "Ah but" people vice "Yah, but" people. We sew to create and we create to be indivdual. No me, I'm an "Ah but" for certain. How about you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caroline94535

Add me to the "Ahhhhh...but" group.

I get so discouraged when someone is offered ideas, solutions, or suggestions (for something they complained about or asked for) and they immediately spout 27 reasons the idea simply won't work for them.

I'm so glad I learned to think outside the box.

Enjoy your leaves...they sound like a great find!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 11:06PM
bayareafrancy

As you have probably figured out, I am definitely in the "ah" category.

But here comes the 'but"....

Once I am done thinking outside the box, my box usually collapses! That is, my creative changes/ideas typically fail because I lack the experience to compensate for this or that. Hopefully time and practice will change that!

So I am: "Ah! [insert creativity here] But....but....but...ARRRRRRRRRRGH!"

:-)

francy (still trying to finish knitting one sweater and one sock so I can attempt to sew a top that has--EEK--darts and gathers and sleeves OH MY!)

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 1:13PM
carolb_w_fl

Good & interesting points - & depending on the situation, I feel like a little of both!

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 12:06PM
joansews4u

My mother put many a flower petal on a garment.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Advanced beginner , emphasis on beginner
What r ur fave online fabric stores? I am looking...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™