Front Door Stuck

russia22September 27, 2011

Help! Our front door, which is fiberglass, will not open since Hurricane Irene. It opened briefly but then got progressively worse. Taking two hands and yanking will not do it. I assume the problem is the frame swelling? Any ideas on what to do? A contractor came by and suggested planing the door a bit, but I am wary.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

The door is sticking for one of two reasons. Either the door/casing is swelled, or---and more probably the reason, the house has shifted and the frame is racked.

There are two fixes---the quick, cheap one---planing off the part of the door sticking---or the correct long term repair---taking the frame loose and remounting it square in the opening.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 4:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Look on all sides to see if the gap is pretty much equal all around the door. If it's fairly tight all around and you can't tell where it's rubbing, slide a scrap of paper all around to see where the rub is. A little settling of the house or seasonal swelling is typically the cause. If you're handy, you can probably plane down the part(s) of the door where you have rubbing. If you have no idea how to go about this, get a competent handyman to tune the door up...it shouldn't be very expensive.

Also, to get the door open and closed before it's fixed, you can often apply strong pressure on the doorknob (downward, or upward, or toward the hinges, depending on where it rubs), and this can move the door a little bit away from the rub spot so you can get it open without yanking directly outward on it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 3:40AM
More Discussions
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Design White Flower 15 3/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
European Farmhouse Maisonette 3 Drawer Nightstand - STAN2976
$799.00 | Hayneedle
VIG Furniture - Ultra Modern Sofa Set - VGYIA32B
Great Furniture Deal
Mistie Rug 12' x 15' - KHAKI
$6,599.00 | Horchow
Oxford Outdoor Wall Sconce by Troy Lighting
$768.00 | Lumens