Removing attached granite table

dreamhouse1September 16, 2010

My island is granite, attached to one end is also a granite table. The table top is a seperate piece of granite and is raised by about four inches. The two pieces are held together by a piece of granite about 4"x2' (kind of looks like a piece of backsplash transitioning between island and table) that looks to be siliconed or glued all the way around. I guess this was added for stability...and unfortunately 'immobility'. The table is supported by an iron base.

How can I remove this piece that is securing the table? I would like to remove the table altogether or at least have the option to do so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is there a clear seam on the joints between the island surface and the transition piece and again between the transition piece and the table slab? can you get to both sides of the transition piece? Perhaps you can get a piece of piano wire (or a guitar string, picture wire, etc.) and use it like a saw to run down one of the joints and break the bond holding the transition piece on one side. Then you could move the two slab surfaces (the island and the table)apart.

How thick is the transition piece connecting the two? If you run a single edged razor blade at the joint and keep going in a little deeper with each pass, maybe you can separate them that way.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


The transition piece is less than an inch. I'll try the razor blade first and see how much damage I can do. Do you think I will need to have it (the island) polished after I remove the transition piece? Not sure what residue will be left. Thanks for your help.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 1:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

most likely. If it was fabricated that way and they used an adhesive, I suspect they would have roughened the surface to promote adhesion, as it is more difficult to adhere to a non-porous polished surface.

If you're going to call someone to polish it, you may just want to have them separate it, too.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 4:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the "glue" is hard they may have used a 2 part epoxy and you may want to call in a professional to cut it apart.

    Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 8:31AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: This...
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
Sponsored Products
Quoizel TF6669VB Indus Tiffany Vintage Bronze Table Lamp
Littman Bros Lighting
Uttermost Brynmore Wood Grain Round Table
Beyond Stores
Artemide | Tolomeo Classic Table Lamp
Robert Abbey Warwick Large Antique Silver Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Wingfield Game Table
Richmond Coffee Table
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Belice Nightstand
Home Decorators Collection
Numbers LED Alarm Clock by Areaware
$84.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™