Anyone having trouble with their Singer?!

ErinBethMarch 25, 2014

I have a 60s Touch n Sew and I am not sure if it's me or the machine! It will work angelically for a couple projects and then it turns into this demon machine. I just took it in last December for a timing adjustment. It sewed some curtains and some other scraps perfectly. I used a ruffler foot on it, now I have a suspicion the timing is off again. The bottom stitches just don't look or feel exactly right. Not to mention, it's jamming frequently.

I have an Elna Lotus from the the 70s that I love dearly. I have not had any issues with sewing through any material. I'd like to keep using the Singer because it is bigger and has more function than the Lotus. Plus, it was my grandmothers. She used it everyday. I wish I could ask her if she ever had issues!

Are these Singer models notorious or am I just that bad?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Make sure you are cleaning the machine regularly - in the entire thread path - and doing the routine oiling. Don't be afraid to take the cover plates off (take pics so you know what goes where) to get the lint out.

Learn to check and adjust the bobbin tension and the upper tension. Bobbin tension almost never needs changing after you get it right as long as you keep using the same weight thread. But it's nice to know how.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video for bobbin tension

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ErinBeth

Thanks for the suggestions! I do clean the machine regularly and keep up with the routine oiling exactly as the original manual says. I am pretty meticulous with this machine since it has such sentimental value to me. I have dug around under cover plates and checked both bobbin and upper tension. Nothing seems to keep it running right for very long.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™