Best material for washable slip covers?

deee_gwJuly 24, 2012

Specific information, including a brand name, would be great. I don't need anything fancy - just something plain, relatively comfortable and will hold up to a machine wash.

Also, any hints for my talk with the upholsterer? The couch to be slip covered is heavy duty wicker so I will just need the cushions done. The cushions are nearly new and in good shape.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
liriodendron

I like 100% linen, or even heavier-weight cotton. Be sure to pre-shrink it, first, before having the covers made. Wash and (machine, if you're planning to use one) dry it at the hottest temps you might ever use.

L.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 11:54AM
nanny2a

I have just finished making several slipcovers, and recovering couch and chair cushions using this fabric, and am so impressed with it that I love sharing this info. It is totally machine washable, with little or NO ironing needed afterward, and is heavy and durable, just perfect for a slipcover or new cover, in fact. It isn�t cheap, but well worth the price. There are other colors, too. I have no connection with this fabric resource, other than being a consumer just like everyone else. You may be able to get this fabric at other resources for less, or more, for that matter, I just love the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denim

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 2:03PM
ratherbesewing

To Nanny2A: fabric.com lists this denim as "heavy weight". Did you also add piping to the seams of your slipcover? Were the multiple layers managable in your sewing machine? BTW, I recently ordered from fabric.com and found 15% off promo codes on google. LOVE a promo code--it's like free money!

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 3:45PM
nanny2a

Yes, to piping on the slipcover. The fabric is heavy, but not overly so, and I had no difficulty with it in my Bernina. Wish I�d seen that promo code BEFORE I placed my last order, but I�ll use it for another......thanks!

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Help! Living room paint colors!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Help with foyer
I need ideas on how to use or decorate this space....
knowll423
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™