Need name of stitch

natebear zone 10BMarch 5, 2014

I need to have a shirt alterned that doesn't lay right, as it's a little too wide across the chest. I've seen the backs of some shirts where there is some stitching & maybe some elastic in the center at about the bra line.

Does anyone know what that would be called?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't know about the elastic, but it sounds like you are talking about gathering the material at the bottom edge of the back yoke, or where a back yoke would be. That wouldn't be a special stitch, unless you have a gathering foot on your machine. I may not be understanding your description, though.

    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are you thinking of "darts"?
One type of dart is called "Princess Seaming".
See link below.

I don't know of elastic ever being used in darts or princess seams...

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a Dart

    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 11:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Wouldn't it be easier to take in the sides of the shirt?

Are you going to do this yourself?

If you're taking it to a tailor or seamstress, he or she should know how to alter your shirt. You shouldn't have to tell him.

    Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 7:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natebear zone 10B

Thanks for the replies, everyone. While doing laundry, I noticed my daughter's shirt had the type of seaming I was asking about.
Evaf555, you're right. The seamtress should know what she's doing. Although, I always find it helpful to be armed with your own knowledge whenever possible. I took the shirt in and she suggested taking up the shoulders. Fingers crossed. :)

    Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natebear zone 10B

Trying pictures again...

This post was edited by NATEBEAR on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 20:00

    Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 7:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's just a regular straight stitch sewn while the elastic is stretched out.

    Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


It's just several rows of large stitches, pulled up to gather the material. Or slightly stretched elastic, sewn to the shirt then relaxed.

    Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What the two before me said. And very easy to do.

    Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 10:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Love the kitties. Don't see how 'taking up the shoulders' will alter in the bust area.

    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:12AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
Sponsored Products
Tom Dixon | Earth Scented Candle - Medium
$115.00 | YLighting
Ariadni Incandescent Light Dimmer by Lutron
$19.00 | Lumens
Full/Queen Diamond-Quilted Wyatt Coverlet 96" x 96" - DECO WHITE
$249.90 | Horchow
Bentley Glider and Ottoman - White - 70947-266
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Mason Swing-Arm Sconce
Serena & Lily
Napa Chicora Tan Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$279.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™