altering pleated sheers

bananafanaMarch 7, 2013

Hi. I'm going to alter ready-made pleated sheers for my mother-in-law. Need to make them less wide. I'm a bit paralyzed with fear about the whole deal.

The traverse rod is not installed yet and I've got maybe 3 or 4 inches of width wiggle room with the rod installation.

I've done the math to account for the center overlap (center draw) and the returns on each end. I should be able to get a pleat right at the corners where each return to the wall starts.

What I don't get is should I include a little extra for ease in the total width? And if yes, how much?

My mother-in-law is a perfectionist and has always had custom drapes before this, so she'll notice if I screw it up. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananafana

I forgot to say that I'm not re-pleating or anything like that. Just altering from the outer edge and eliminating one pleat and the original return from each panel. I've been sewing for 40 years, so the execution should be ok. I'm mostly worried about the overall measurement and amount of ease, if any.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 2:50PM
lazy_gardens

The traverse rod is not installed yet and I've got maybe 3 or 4 inches of width wiggle room with the rod installation.

Wait until the rod is installed, hang the sheers, adjust them to hang nicely starting at the center overlap, and see what needs to be removed.

How much are you planning to remove?

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 4:37PM
bananafana

lazygardens---yes, that would make more sense, although I do want to get the last pleat right in the corners. But mostly, I wanted to do the job in one trip over to her house so I was hoping to get the drapes done before I put up her rod. Your idea makes a lot of sense....I just wanted the one trip. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 8:27PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Well if the rods aren't hung yet, then you can hang them to match your alteration....so long as your alteration didn't make them too narrow...

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
Help me pick: Brother xl3750 or Singer 4423?
I'd like to get into some sewing projects, I did some...
williamsem
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™