But 45 inches is too narrow for many things

bayareafrancyMarch 8, 2009

Oh, boo hiss!

My son found this amazing collection of sock monkey fabric by Moda. He made a pillowcase. We love the collection so much, we want to make a comforter cover.

But the cover needs to be around 60" across. And the fabric is only 45. How does one get fabric to make bedding?

I'm so disappointed!

francy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

Typically, you would buy twice the length in yardage, using a 45" strip in the middle, and a narrower strip on either side. Yes, you will have two seams in the top piece, but you can then use a sheet or wider coordinating fabric(muslin or sheeting from the fabric store)for the underside, and use the leftover fabric strips for throw pillows or a window valance, or additional pillowcases.HTH

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 2:13PM
bayareafrancy

Rats. Seams just sound so unattractive. I'm trying to find some photos online of what the seams look like. But, although I can find directions for making a seamed comforter cover, no one is posting a closeup of what the seam looks like.

Rats, rats, rats. I just can't envision seams in my "hula hooping sock monkeys."

http://www.quiltscapes.com/Images/Moda/MonkeyRound/26032-16.jpg

francy

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 2:56PM
noinwi

Maybe you can make a wide coordinating border all around the fabric so your print is not broken up, or purchase enough fabric that you can match the pattern at the seams.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 3:16PM
msmarion

Put the 45" in the center and two narrow pieces on both sides. You will have to match your print.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 8:34PM
budster

so fancyfrancy - what did you decide to do? Perhaps check out a few sewing books at the library that deal with the how to's of bedcovers, duvets etc. See if they have any with photos of a seam finish you like and would work with your fabric. Just a suggestion - it's what I would do. Budster

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 12:15PM
gininmn

How about covering the seams with a vine (embroidered or appliqued)?

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
carsonheim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™