Janome MC-3000 vs Brother NS-40

beckwardsMarch 31, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of deciding which sewing machine to purchase. I am somewhat new to machine sewing (a little experience, but not tons), but learn quickly. I plan to use it for clothing, quilting, and some upholstery work.

I have the choice of

- a used Janome MemoryCraft 3000, with a lovely assortment of quilting and buttonhole feet and adjustable presser foot pressure, but no warranty from the shop. $300. I've seen a lot of good reviews of this machine while looking around online. OR I could get ...

- a new Brother NS-40, one of the smaller Project Runway models. It has a couple more stitches than the Janome, but is otherwise pretty comparable, as far as I could tell. With warranty, of course, and the first cleaning is free at the store of purchase. $400, plus the cost of quilting feet to get me going. No reviews online to read, because it is a newer model.

I have done test drives of both, and like them both. I might like the Janome a little more, but it could be because it's not pink. ;) In your opinion, is one preferable to the other for a wide range of uses, taking into account the warranty (or lack thereof)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

I've never had either machine,but the reviews i read when i googled the Janome were all good,and i do know they make good machines as a few of my friends have them and have had no problem.

Sit down with paper and write down the pros and cons of each.Personally i think i'd go with one with a guarantee and easy access to a support system.

Kathi

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™