Help with hemming an A-line dress?

malapertMarch 20, 2009

I'm making a little simple sundress for my daughter, sans pattern. And I've come to the A-line hem and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to hem it! It's driving me totally batty! Can anyone help explain it to me? I'd consider myself an intermediate sewer (I've just never run across this before).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

I'm not an expert seamstress, but maybe this will help. Do a basting stitch 1/4 inch from the bottom edge, all the way around. Gently pull the the threads to ease in the edge, taking in the slack just a bit. Press under along the stitching line, then turn or press under along the hem(fold)line and machine or hand stitch your hem. This should eliminate the "pucker" I think you're worried about.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 12:46PM
sherrmann

That should do it. It has to be a very narrow hem. The hem should lie flat all by itself at center front and center back; you can make tiny snips to the basting stitch and press it up to even out the fullness at the sides of the dress if you need to.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:00PM
sherrmann

You can try adding a stretch lace hem tape if the fabric is too hard to handle and won't press properly.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:02PM
loganhogan

That's why I line them, to keep from having to try and do the hem, LOL.
Susan

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 3:55PM
malapert

Thanks ladies! That helped and I finally was pleased with it.

Susan, I'm intrigued...I always thought lining would be more of a pain but after dealing with that hemline, I'm willing to try lining one. Is there a trick to it? It seems like you'd just make the same dress (sleeveless, of course) and just sew it to the top shoulder seams?? no, you'd still have to hem that. Does anyone have a good link for me? LOL I tried Googling it but got nothing.

Sewing is fast becoming a lost art. :(

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 10:39PM
birdtalker

I did a lot of a-line skirts and dresses in the 60's. One way to handle it even on deep hems is to make little pleats or tucks in the underneath where you are stitching the hem. Just make sure the side seam and center front and back are straight.

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
a cutting table surface perhaps using foam
i'm creating my own pinnable cutting table with a 4X8...
mineemee
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™