Cannot find a water leak...happens when it rains

downsouthAugust 6, 2009

We have a water problem and the boards behind the vinyl siding are getting wet when it rains on the right side of our house. We do have a fireplace in the den which is on the same side and we caulked all around the vinyl siding, and even caulked the bottom of the vinyl siding, thinking water might be running down around the vinyl siding casing.

We had a roofer come out and he said we needed to install another downspout to the right of the fireplace because the roof is so steep, the water is running off too fast. This didn't solve our problem. He also installed a gutter guard to keep the leaves out and this didn't help either.

We hired another roofer and he installed some type of flashing to slow down the water. This was a joke. It looks like two pieces of shiny metal sticking up on our roof.

Any idea(s) on what we can try next? We want to put our house up for sale and need to get this problem fixed first, and these boards replaced.

Thanks, Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

You really need to post pictures of the problem area, both interior and exterior.
Ron

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 4:03PM
jean_guillard_computershare_com_au

I have water coming under both side of my house when it rains only,i had a plumber sealing the house from outside & a camera in all pipes with no result of any broken pipes.,now i am lost of what to do next.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:39PM
sdello

Sorry John, but your post isn't making a lot of sense. What do you mean by "coming under both sides of my house"? If the problem happens when it rains, why would you think it's a broken pipe? Why is a plumber sealing the exterior of the house? I'd expect a siding contractor or roofer would be better qualified to address this type of issue.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 8:56AM
brickeyee

Siding is not waterproof.

The barrier behind the siding (AKA 'drainage plane') is there to prevent water entry.

The siding is there to protect the drainage plane.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™