Buy used Bernina or a new Janome? Need advice!

pseudochefMarch 27, 2014

I've never posted on this forum, but I got lots of great advice over on the kitchen forum last year when I was remodeling my kitchen. I am in the market for a new sewing machine. My mom's old 1964 singer seems to break down every time I start a new project. My FIL has worked on it every year for me when it breaks but I think it's time to move on. I am looking for something under $500 as I don't sew that much although I might start doing more if I had a better machine. I can either buy something like the Janome Magnolia 7330 or the 2014 or I have found a used Bernina Activa 130 that comes with 10 feet, 71 bobbins, and is lightly used condition although 10 years old. I can't decide! Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizzie2

I would say get the Bernina. I have a 20 year old 1130 and it sews great. I have two newer Vikings that I purchased to use for my 4-H club. Both have spent more time in repair than that old Bernina and are only half its age. I did have a member bring a Janome machine to work on her project (granted it was an older machine) and she ended up using my Viking. I love my Bernina.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 3:53PM
mlweaving_Marji

Buy the Bernina. That 130 is a great 3/4 size machine, that will outlast the Janome.
That said, and I own 3 Bernina's including a 145 which is the same machine as the 130 with an extra feature (the knee lift), ... I bought the Janome Magnolia for my daughter in law who needed a sewing machine but doesn't do much sewing, as the price was a deciding factor. It was more than $500 less than the Bernina.
The Magnolia is a good machine, but if you have access to a reasonably priced Bernina 130 I'd jump at it.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 8:11AM
RuthieG__TX

Curious about what you decided to do. I would have advised the new Janome. I love Janome...so what did you buy?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:21AM
nicole__

I purchased a used Bernina 165. I don't know anything about Janome. But the Bernina has gotton me through a few upholstery & slip cover projects....now it's breaking the top thread. Probably needs a new needle or better thread the repair shop told me....

Personally I'd like a Pfaff upholstery machine. :0)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™