Buy used Bernina or a new Janome? Need advice!

pseudochefMarch 27, 2014

I've never posted on this forum, but I got lots of great advice over on the kitchen forum last year when I was remodeling my kitchen. I am in the market for a new sewing machine. My mom's old 1964 singer seems to break down every time I start a new project. My FIL has worked on it every year for me when it breaks but I think it's time to move on. I am looking for something under $500 as I don't sew that much although I might start doing more if I had a better machine. I can either buy something like the Janome Magnolia 7330 or the 2014 or I have found a used Bernina Activa 130 that comes with 10 feet, 71 bobbins, and is lightly used condition although 10 years old. I can't decide! Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizzie2

I would say get the Bernina. I have a 20 year old 1130 and it sews great. I have two newer Vikings that I purchased to use for my 4-H club. Both have spent more time in repair than that old Bernina and are only half its age. I did have a member bring a Janome machine to work on her project (granted it was an older machine) and she ended up using my Viking. I love my Bernina.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 3:53PM
mlweaving_Marji

Buy the Bernina. That 130 is a great 3/4 size machine, that will outlast the Janome.
That said, and I own 3 Bernina's including a 145 which is the same machine as the 130 with an extra feature (the knee lift), ... I bought the Janome Magnolia for my daughter in law who needed a sewing machine but doesn't do much sewing, as the price was a deciding factor. It was more than $500 less than the Bernina.
The Magnolia is a good machine, but if you have access to a reasonably priced Bernina 130 I'd jump at it.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 8:11AM
ruthieg__tx

Curious about what you decided to do. I would have advised the new Janome. I love Janome...so what did you buy?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:21AM
nicole__

I purchased a used Bernina 165. I don't know anything about Janome. But the Bernina has gotton me through a few upholstery & slip cover projects....now it's breaking the top thread. Probably needs a new needle or better thread the repair shop told me....

Personally I'd like a Pfaff upholstery machine. :0)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Advanced beginner , emphasis on beginner
What r ur fave online fabric stores? I am looking...
bossyvossy
Can anyone help identify these fabrics? {PB Brooklyn in Lavender}
Hi there, I absolutely love the PB Brooklyn Crib bedding...
audreyrama
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting 6 In. White Albalite Shower Trim P8008-60
$21.06 | Home Depot
BideT4me HB-28 Quality Hand Held Bidet
Overstock.com
Robert Louis Tiffany Cascade Yellow 21 1/2"W Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Aviary coral napkins (set of 4)
Origin Crafts
Rizzy Home Woven Southwestern Multi-Stripe Pattern Decorative Throw Pillow Multi
$48.00 | Hayneedle
Set of Four Monogrammed Silver Napkin Rings
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™