What kind of contractor to call for shower rip-out?

cinnamonsworldAugust 7, 2010

We have a tile shower that we'd like to take at least the bottom out of, have a new shower pan put in and replace a couple pieces of subfloor under it (water damaged). What kind of contractor should we call for this? (Not looking for bathroom remodeler at this point, just the mechanics of taking down and replacing the aforementioned structural components.)

The shower is in an indented part of the wall (like a closet) with glass shower door. (Not a freestanding thing, no surround enclosure etc.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It will be difficult or impossible to remove the pan and leave the walls in place, since the wall treatment is installed over a lip on the edges of the pan.

You need a contractor who can remodel bathrooms.

    Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 12:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

At least the lowest row of tile will need to be removed and replaced.

    Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 7:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

An experienced tile contractor.

    Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 11:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Go drive by Home Depot or Lowes and get two illegals that speak some English. Get some boxes to put the waste in so you can put it on the curb or take it to the dump. Many trash pick up companies won't take "construction waste" so put it into boxes, tape them up and put out over several days.

    Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 5:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Look on craiglist under labor. There are often people who offer demolition & haul away services.

An experienced tile contractor may also be able to do it, for an additional fee.

I live in New England, and I've not been able to find day laborers outside the home improvement stores.

    Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you use someone besides a tile installer be ready for additional tile work.

A tile contractor should be able to remove the lowest row of tiles (unless the backer is inadequate).

It does take some finesse to get the bottom row out without damaging the higher rows.

Having whomever is going to replace the base perform the removal would be a good idea.

    Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 9:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Whenever you want a contractor, get only licensed contractors for your repair work."

Licensing rules depend on the state.

Not all specialties require licensing in every state.

    Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 10:15AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
HydroShield Sealant?
I have some granite that is failing to maintain stain...
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Stone Bathroom Sink By MaestroBath
Area Rug: Bird of Paradise Ivory 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Elise Wall Sconce by Philips Forecast Lighting
$226.00 | Lumens
Jaipur Rugs Handmade Cotton Stripe Cadiz Pouf - POF100272
$138.00 | Hayneedle
Fascination Hammered Ore One-Light Bath Light with Recycled Half Frosted Cylinde
$209.00 | Bellacor
Cosby Leather Chair - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Legend Series 36 in. x 66 in. Framed
Home Depot
Blue & Red Handmade Fish
$17.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™