Finally focusing on MBR, looking for new ideas

tfitz1006July 21, 2014

I am ready to tackle a long-overdue remodel of my bedroom. For some reason I just haven't been able to figure out what I want. I originally thought-and several of you suggested-that I would switch my blue walls to a soft yellow so I could keep the valances and the chair in the room. Now I think, though, that I may want to get rid of the yellow. I do love chartreuse and was thinking of some accents in that color, perhaps integrating it into bed pillows or bed skirt, etc. I still think I will keep the valances bc I really like the fabric and the simplicity of the design.

Wood blinds are white and they are staying. Carpet needs a re-do but not now. I have even thought about tearing up the carpet bc the floors are a nice warm oak. Furniture is primarily mahogany family pieces, gonna stick with that. There's a large walk-in closet that still has the linen white we threw up when we did some remodeling. Adjoining small bath with blue glass tiles in shower and simple white on walls. I'm stalking craigslist for a headboard, ideally a Charles p. Rogers iron bed like their Paris one. Have also looked at upholstered headboards and mahogany. Love my reading chair, use it every day. I think if I do the painting I might be able to reupholster the chair.

So my questions for you: if I stick with valances and do perhaps white bedding with chartreuse accents, what color for the walls? If I could redo the chair does anyone have a fabric suggestion? I think the vibe I want is light and airy, a little fun, to counterbalance the dark furniture.

Thanks and sorry so long!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tfitz1006

Pic of reading chair

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 11:27AM
tfitz1006

Another view

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 11:29AM
tibbrix

Chartreuse strikes me as being anything but light and airy. It seems hot and vibrant to me.

What if you went with a creamy taupe? The light blue would look soft and pretty against it.

Something like BM Abalone or Thunder.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:48PM
tfitz1006

The other direction I am considering is maybe a soft grey wall with lavender accents and white bedding. In that case my chair absolutely will be changed out.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 1:02PM
tfitz1006

I decided to go with BM Horizon Gray for the walls and White Dove for the trim. I love the soft khaki-grey against the blue curtains. I scored a fabulous Craigslist Charles P Rogers Breton iron bed and will dress it in primarily white with some great gray-taupe tweedy pillows I picked up at the ABC carpet and home clearance center, along with a soft purple throw I also found there. Can you suggest a good color for our small master bathroom? We also have a large walk-in closet fitted out in the California Closet shelving that is a bisque/linen white type color. I like color and wouldn't mind going bolder/darker in those two rooms. Here's the shower tile. Wall and floor tile are simple white large-ish squares. Thanks for your help with this, so happy it's coming together. Really thrilled about the bed bc I have wanted a headboard for my entire 27 years of marriage but there were always things that came first.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:40AM
junco East Georgia zone 8a

Your BM Horizon Gray is shown with Metallic Silver (a light blue) and Black Bean Soup (dark gray) on the BM website.
Either or both would be pretty to complement your room.
Maybe the light blue in the bathroom and the dark gray in the closet--as long as you have plenty of light in there!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Question about decorating rooms that lead to another
Both my living room and kitchen are visible from my...
tracefacemsu
Can we talk about throw pillows?
I'm puzzled about throw pillows on sofas, loveseats...
pocopson
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
valpogal47
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™