Outside wood damage - area under a peak and over a window.

chester_grantAugust 4, 2008

I cannot find the exact terminology for this area - but its the triangular area under the roof eves and over the windows on one side of a wing to the house - its wooden vertical siding. The area is about 7 ft a the peak and 15 ft across the bottom - ie the width of the wing.

There are a few patches of rotten wood at the bottom of the wood - ie where the water runs down to the base and has been absorbed upwards by the grain in the wood. There is no calking which I guess was the problem. Between the top of the window and the above is a 1/2 inch width horizontal piece of wood (drip line?) which has a metal cladding on the top surface - the metal hasnt worked as the horizontal piece of wood has deteriorated in a few spots.

I think I can repair the base of the wood in the V section mentioned above (with plastic wood and paint and another strip of wood added along the base of the triangle) - but the horizontal piece of wood topped by the metal cladding is more problematic - ideas? Can I extract the horizontal wood and replace?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The eave is the level roof edge along the low part of a sloped roof. The sloping edge is called a rake.

You need to remove all damaged wood and install better flashing. Don't rely on caulk and paint. Get a competent carpenter to do the work otherwise you are likely to have to do it all over again after more damage has occurred.

    Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:20AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™