How do I add a seam allowance to a European pattern?

amileydFebruary 5, 2009

Hi, I know this should be so obvious to me.. I just bought a few Euro patterns and I have never sewn with these before. You have to add a seam allowance, because none are given. So, I was wondering how you do this. Do you trace the pattern and draw a seam allowance inside the existing lines, or use a seam tracer and add outside the existing lines?

Thank you! :0)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salena

I would pin pattern as usual then cut 3/8's inch beyond pattern. You could go around pattern and put a dot for allowance then follow dots.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 8:41AM
budster

There is a special tool out there for allowing you to add the usual 5/8" seam allowance. I have just used a quilting ruler that shows an automatic increase of 1/2" and that worked. A friend uses a metal washer type of item that adds a seam allowance (you put your marker through a hole in the middle and as you trace around the pattern the marked line is at the proper cutting line. It seems to work for her. The washer thing is available in quilting stores that I know.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 11:52AM
amileyd

Thanks for the replies! I already traced and cut out the pattern, so I can't add seam allowances. I also cut out my fabrics already (without seam allowances) soo I am in a fix. Oh well, I will just sew it... It's a prototype using scrap fabric I was going to use to get a good fit on me. It's all a learning experience I guess... :)

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 1:25PM
budster

Use a serger if you have one, and yes each item we make is a learning experience for us. I too have forgot about the seam allowance and lucky for me the article was big anyway. Another time I did a toddler jacket and just put inserts of co-ordinating fabric onto each piece to give me the seam allowance back.....turned out OK and was a play jacket anyway. Live and learn.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™