How to get a refund from contractor

Jennifer_OldHouseAugust 17, 2011

contractor canceled job before starting any work. Work for Foundation work. Deposit was 1/3 of total cost. Deposit was for 6,333.00.

He's giving me the run around. Give me a check that won't clear and now he's not answering my calls.

I live in NY state. What can I do to get my money back

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If he gave you a check that won't clear, take it to the prosecutors office and let them straighten it out...he will be glad to get your money if he don't want to go to jail.

    Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You're saying that he refunded the deposit in the form of a check that bounced? This is actually good news because it eliminates any argument over the actual refund.

If you're in a generous mood, call him and let him know if you don't received the $6,333 in the form of cash or certified funds within, say, 5 business days you'll be contacting the district attorney to discuss criminal charges. If you can't reach him by phone, sent a letter via certified mail with a return receipt requested.

If you aren't feeling generous, contact the district attorney today. It's a crime to write a bad check.

    Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:07AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™