cut away sweatshirts

dyannFebruary 10, 2007

does anyone have apattern or know were to get a pattern for a cut away sweatshirt. i know you use fabric in the under side but i'm not sure i'm doing it right

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justgotabme

Dyann, I don't know of a pattern for them, but I've made many of them in the past. First cut out the fabric a little larger than what you want showing through the front of the sweatshirt. Turn the sweatshirt inside out and lay the fabric face down on the inside of the shirt. Pin in place. Sew the fabric to the shirt along lines in the fabric you want to cut around. Once all sewing is complete, turn the shirt rightside out. Clip the center of the cutout areas making sure to pull the sweatshirt fabric away from the sewn on fabric so as not to damage it. Once you've clipped each area you can start to clip the rest of the sweatshirt areas close to your stitching.
Have fun!
~Justie~
P.S. If you meant the cut out sweatshirts that have just X's cut out then you sew the fabric in a grid pattern to match the shape you want (heart etc) then you just turn right side out and clip X's in each square. It's a bit tougher than the above, but easily doable.

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 9:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Sounds like you're talking about "reverse applique".is that correct???
Kathi

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™