What are your widest pantry roll outs?

KallistoMay 6, 2013

If you have roll out shelves/ROTS in your cabinet pantry, how wide are your widest roll outs?

Our KD's layout has a 30 inch wide tall 2-door cabinet, 24 deep, for pantry storage. I am getting cold feet about the cabinet order because I wonder whether the single roll outs in a 30 inch cabinet will be too wide. Will that size be unwieldy?

Wondering if I should change to a smaller pantry, or use 2 pantry cabs rather than one. I would love to hear any thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sena01

Mine is 24x24, with a single door and I'm comfortable with it.

I don't think you'll have trouble with the lower pull outs with a 30" one. You may consider having wire baskets for pull outs at or above eye level.

I guess two pantry cabs would cost more.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:13AM
Kallisto

Thanks so much. Yes, cost is a factor here, as you note. But I also don't want to have something hard to use, or structurally unsound, for kitchen storage.

I think I have seen photos of some wide-looking rollouts, but I can't recall the measurements.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:46PM
suzanne_sl

Mine are 23" rollouts in a 27" cabinet.

I don't think the rollouts in a 30" cabinet would be unwieldy.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:53PM
fsteph

Project doesn't start for another 3 weeks but mine are 38 wide with double doors opening (and the rollouts must be a little smaller) I'm happy they are that wide, room for a lot of things :-)

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:27PM
Kallisto

I appreciate the input. This is the stuff that is keeping me up nights!

And thank you, suzannesl, for the photo. That will be the rough setup of our bottom pantry cab, and so it's good to see loaded rollouts in action.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:49PM
attofarad

I think my wife's pantry pullout is in a 24" cabinet, but she has identical pullouts in the lower cabinets for pots/tupperware/spice drawer which are well over 30 inches (I am not home, so cannot measure).

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:02PM
suzanne_sl

You're right, Kallisto. It's so hard to know about stuff you've never seen in action and none of your friends/relatives has it. That's what I love about GW - somebody's got it or something similar and is willing to share.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:15PM
eleena

The cabinet is 24"x24" (the roll-outs are smaller, of course) and I could use wider roll-outs. However, only the lower ones are roll-outs, the uppers are just shelves. KD said it would be hard to reach over the sides into the upper roll-outs but I am thinking of changing the shelves to roll-outs too.

Why would it be structurally unsound?

I love my 36" base drawers as well as the 30" drawer in the oven cabinet, all 24" deep.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Polished chrome and polished nickel fixtures in same kitchen?
This is what I get for not figuring everything out...
windycitylindy
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™