Sliding Window Removal Help

happsAugust 31, 2011

I have a 24"x58" sliding single pane glass aluminum window that has a small crack in it that I would like to replace. If I can remove the window and take it to the glass shop, it will be $100 less than having them drive 1 mile to my house to replace the glass in the window. The window is very difficult to remove because the house has settled after 40 years and some parts of the window area are lower than other (if you look at it from a distance, it has a bow shape), so the part that is down or lower won't cause the window to come out. I can get the window about 2/3 of the way out. I don't want to force it any more because I fear the frame and rollers break. Is there a trick or method for removing a window in this situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodbutcher_ca

HI If one end clears the track then file or cut a notch in the track where the other wheel is then remove the window.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 9:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Look for notches in the track.

You have to file your own the first time you need a window out.

Try and avoid a notch that is when the window is fully closed.

Usually you can do it a few inches from fully closed and pivot the pane out (you may also need to notch the top and bottom).

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™