Wet Garage Wall

mondoAugust 24, 2010

When my house was build about 20 years ago, I had a water problem in the garage that was finished to the floor with drywall. I replaced the wet drywall with greenboard, but now the white cover in the greenboard is sluffing off. The water damage seems to be coming up from the floor and is about 1 foot high now. The issue seems to be the water gets on the board during the winter snow, but I also have a lot of springs on the property and I suspect that some is under the floor, although not visable. Can I use Kills and then a waterproof paint on the greenboard since it looks like hell and I do not want to tear it all our again. PS - I am not a handy guy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

You need to address the problem of the incoming water intrusion. Trying to seal it from the inside, the damage is still being done internally and can get ugly on you real fast such as mold issues, etc.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 5:18PM
mondo

I would have to tear down the hole wall to the interior of the house and want to avoid that. I tore it all out before when the damage was extensive from a leak in the roof. It has been about 10 years and no evidence of mold, just the paper is coming off the greenboard. I am looking for a product to seal the greenboard.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 3:51PM
jennifw

Is is possible that the roof leak is back or you have a new one? The green board paper wouldn't just come off without being the symptom of some kind of problem. You have to fix the problem first. (sorry)

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 4:06PM
sierraeast

"The water damage seems to be coming up from the floor and is about 1 foot high now"

Sounds like you need to investigate the exterior, not tear the wall apart from the inside. What is the exterior wall made of and what foundation type? There are many variables here and could be simply grading away from your foundation sloping enough for water/snow build up to run out and away. Also if you dont have gutters, that might help as well but you need to provide more details in order for anyone here to get a clear picture.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 5:00PM
macv

Greenboard absorbs water at it's edges like any other drywall therefore it shouldn't be placed on a concrete slab or in a wet area. Try cutting the bottom 30" off and installing cement backer board.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 5:10PM
mondo

Thanks for the input. The roof leak has been fixed, what I have is a situation where the greenboard was installed to the floor and is getting wet at times from snow in the garage over time and has leached up and the outer white cover has flaked off. I also get some rain blowing in since my garage door seal is bad. Yes, I am going to replace that! The wall in question is an inside wall to the house and to the garage. I suspect I have some water that comes up from the floor since there is many natural springs in the area, but have never seen signs of that. This problem has occurred over several years, the wall never actually feels wet and I am reluctant to teal out the wall to seal the cement under it. My plan was to cut the greenboard up from the floor and try to re-paint the greenboard with some white waterproof paint or sealer. With having just paid for a wedding and having 2 other kids in college, I need to just try this approach since I do not have the $ or time now for more. If this does not work, then I will tear into it and get to the bottom of it.

Can anyone tell me a material I can use to seal the greenboard?

Thanks for the comments.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
thebigad
HydroShield Sealant?
I have some granite that is failing to maintain stain...
jaxo
Sponsored Products
Excel 26-inch Steel Tool Chest with Six Ball Bearing Slide Drawers
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. 2-Light Outdoor Bronze Wall Lantern with Aluminum
$72.84 | Home Depot
Eti 12 in. White LED Flush Mount Fixture with 4000k 54074143
$44.98 | Home Depot
Oceanstar 3-tier Steel Heavy-duty All-purpose Utility Cart
Overstock.com
Genie Master 3 Button Transmitter - 37335R
$34.97 | Hayneedle
PlayStar Playsets Monkey Ring Kit - PS 7744
$54.99 | Hayneedle
Trademark Global Billiard Lights United States Army 60 in. Three Shade Brass
Home Depot
Suncast Homeplace Belvedere Cupola - RCB