Repair of woodpecker hole in siding

gininmnAugust 7, 2012

A woodpecker has made a hole into the cedar siding on my house. The hole is about the size of a quarter and goes down into the styrofoam insulation. I don't have more siding at this time but would like to do a temporary fix of this damage. I've thought about either putting spray foam into the hole or cutting a piece of styrofoam and fitting it in. Not sure what to use for pugging outside. Suggestions/help appreciated. Since it would just be temporary, I thought maybe I could just fill with caulking and stain over the top. Also what is the appropriate way to do a more permanent fix for this damage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Cut a cedar plug from another board and pop it in. If the hole currently is irregular drill the proper size hole for the necessary plug then caulk around the edges and finish.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 4:04PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Woodpeckers only go after insects. They don't bore into perfectly sound wood for no reason. You either have some sort of infestation below the siding, or some of your siding has rotted and allowed insect life into it. You need to have an exterminator inspect the area thoroughly before undertaking any temporary or permanent repair.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 12:40AM
graywings123

Woodpeckers make nesting holes in the spring and roosting holes in the late summer to fall. They also have a drumming activity which will create holes. Acorn woodpeckers will make a hole to place an acorn in.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:00AM
gininmn

Millworkman, thank you for the help. I should have no problem with doing that.

There is no sign of rot in or insects under my siding. Guess the woodpeckers (usually downies) around me enjoy drumming and boring on my house and garage, have addled brains from all that pounding and imagine they hear insects, or are just plain malicious, mischief makers.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Fixing a small drywall mark?
I accidentally tapped the corner of my iPad against...
Raident
Sponsored Products
Little Cottage 4 x 4 Sweetbriar Cottage Wood Playhouse - SWEETBRIAR-ALABAMA
Hayneedle
Playhouse: Little Cottage 6 x 8 Cape Cod Wood Playhouse
Hayneedle
Black Lawn & Log Cart
$79.99 | zulily
Little Cottage 8 x 10 Stratford Schoolhouse Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 8X10STRA
Hayneedle
Little Cottage 8 x 12 Gingerbread Wood Playhouse - 8X12GINGERBREAD W/O FLOOR KIT
Hayneedle
Playhouse: Little Cottage 4 x 6 Cape Cod Wood Playhouse
Hayneedle
Black Diamond Veneer Bombay Chest
$279.99 | zulily
Playhouse: Little Cottage 8 x 10 Cape Cod Wood Playhouse
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™