Roofing- Metal or Shingles?
I have to have the roofing done on a house if I am to purchase it...which I am more than likely going to. I know one part of the roof needs new wood on the roof(what the shingles sit on) but most of it is just replacing the shingles.
I am wondering if it would be cheaper now and in the long run to do metal panels instead of shingles.
So my questions would be
1. Lifetime- comparison of the 2, which lasts longer
2. Price- (lowes has panels for $16.00 compared to $30.00 for shingles)
3. Weathering- How will in comparison the metal hold up to high winds, and hail? Will it cause the house to heat up dramatically in the summer?
4. Ease of installation- Which is easier and cheaper for the roofers to install?
5. Does roof pitch or angles make a difference when using metal panels?
6. Leaks- Is there more or less of a chance of roof leaking with metal panels?
Also, the home has vinyl siding, do we have to add any type of flashing if we are using metal panels?