Lining a throw

kathieloFebruary 20, 2009

Could anyone recommend a fabric to be used for lining a throw made from a chinelle tapestry type of upholstery fabric. I bought this remnant thinking pillows but it was quite large and would be perfect for a throw. When I say upholstery fabric, it isn't really that heavy in weight but it has texture. It is a paisley design in golds, olive and rust colors...perfect for my soon to be finished new basement. I think it will be mainly decorative although if need be, will be used for warmth. I did another one awhile back and lined it with flannel backed satin (or is it satin backed flannel)coat lining but I found that it was quite heavy and not very warm. I edged it with cording and attached tassels to the corners. (copied one I saw at Ethan Allen) This may account for the weight. It keeps sliding off your lap. So I am looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kathie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueberrier1

Kathie, there are many light wt fleeces that would be great, cozy and slip-proof. In this case, I would cut the fleese smaller than the paisly, and topstitch around the perimeter. You might want to put some tacking stitches every 12-18" thru both layers to stablize.Another choice is a dark cotton flannel.

Decades ago, I lined a Vogue Dior coat with flannel backed satin and was devastated at its weakness. I had to decorative tape the cuff and hem areas after two years. It was not particularly warm, either...but then that was in Chicao!

Your fabric sounds lush! I am nuts for paisley.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gram999

Depending on how much you wanted to spend, you could also use a washable suede. I got some on clearance & made throw pillows--for $4.50 yd.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Sponsored Products
Stonegate Designs | Manhattan Table Lamp
$392.28 | YLighting
Palm Bay Three-Light Chandelier
$232.95 | Bellacor
Design House Ceiling Fans Mesa 52 in. White Ceiling Fan with No Light Kit 154096
Home Depot
Lines Black Giclee Apothecary Clear Glass Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Paw Prints Holly Holiday Stocking
The City Farm
Chemist's Table Lamp, Antique Brass
Cost Plus World Market
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™