Piering a house in Missouri

2011scribeAugust 9, 2012

I live in St. Charles County in Missouri and need info about soil conditions/piering/settling of houses in my area. My house is 30+ years old and is just now showing signs of settling. Every other house in my neighborhood has needed piers. I need more info before I decide to call a piering company. HELP please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Use a Registered civil engineer in your area or a Licensed Soil Scientist - at least those would be the people to contact in NC. Your state may be different.
The little I know about building on unstable soils is that piles can be driven to increasing depths until the driving force necessary to move them is some order of magnitude greater than the load that the building will place on the pile. Depths of 40 to 60 feet are not at all unusual for commercial buildings.
A public road bridge in my area is build on driven piles.
I know that helical piers are often used for retrofits for residences. I have no personal experience with them. Most of the installers seem to say that theirs are the best
and that all the others are not worth considering. That does not really help in the selection.

    Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 6:59PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help With Siding Repair
I have a problem which is ... this: That is a slat...
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
Sponsored Products
Sample-Pier Ski Slope Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Feiss Menlo Park 20 3/4" Cinnamon Outdoor Post Lantern
Lamps Plus
Canyon View Outdoor Post Mt 1-Light FL
Fort Mason 6-Drawer Sideboard
Grandin Road
Santa Barbara Pier Mount Base
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Pier 60 Bronze 14 1/2" High LED Outdoor Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Outdoor Lighting. 3 in. Cast Aluminum Pier Base
$6.97 | Home Depot
Taraxacum Suspension by Flos Lighting
$2,395.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™