Repairing water-damaged eaves etc???

soozAugust 3, 2008

When we took down our gutters last week, we noticed some water damage around our house, on the fascia boards, a bit on the eaves, and on the roof rafters (I think that's the correct term)--the pieces that stick outside the walls of the house (they are under the eaves). We do not have a soffit.

I know we can replace the fascia, but how do we repair the water damage on the eaves and on the "rafters" ? Thankfully, the water damage does not extend even halfway up the rafters, but some of the eaves are maybe three-quarters rotten with water damage.

Thanks for any help!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

call in a pro to look at it. if your water damage is bad enough to rot wood, then that wood needs to be replaced. since it holds up the roof, it is structural and should be left to someone who KNOWS wha tthey are doing.

    Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm on it! Thanks for your input!


    Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 2:37PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™