Chain link fence posts

ionized_gwAugust 14, 2012

I need to cut 2 or three posts of a chain link fence to get truck access to my yard. The posts are set in a concrete strip under the fence. Is some standard hardware marketed to repair this kind of cut? What I have in mind is a sleeve or an insert that fit some standard size fence posts, but I have never seen any.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

I'd say you're spot on. I just did that with my neighbour's basketball net, to make it a little more permanent (got rid of the plastic base, set some abs pipe in concrete in the ground, and mounted it like that. Cut them at ground level, find some tubing that fits neatly inside, and use a bolt or get them welded into the upper post.

That'll be kind of handy.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:04PM
bus_driver

Since we cannot see your exact installation, and do not know what equipment you may have, exact advice is difficult to supply. Be advised that the posts are that same outside dimensions as standard water pipes. Corner posts typically the same as 2" IPS and line posts either 1 1/4" IPS (often) or 1 1/2" IPS. Your posts may be thin gauge tubing from rolled strips of 16 gauge. Thin posts cannot be threaded.
Patching the posts will be a weak repair.

At the link, go down the list on the right side and click the links for threadless compression couplings and for setscrew couplings.

Another choice is the coupling for plumbing that is often called a Dresser coupling.
Given the equipment I have available, I would remove the existing posts completely and replace them completely and properly. Your situation may be different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couplings

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:12PM
alan_s_thefirst

If OP can find tubing that's a tight internal fit and it goes a reasonable way into the ground, and a reasonable way into the fence post, like a coupling, it won't be a weak point, it'll be the strongest part of the post.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 2:44AM
ionized_gw

Thanks, all good suggestions.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 10:04AM
brickeyee

"If OP can find tubing that's a tight internal fit and it goes a reasonable way into the ground"

The inside is often filled with at least some concrete if the pipes are set in concrete.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:12AM
ionized_gw

Thanks for that warning. I will see if they can can be cut somewhat higher than ground level so a patch can be applied. If the wheel spacing on the truck is right, it should be possible.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™