Back of formal dress

Trina WerkemaFebruary 6, 2013

I've been googling up a storm to try and find out what the back panel of a long formal gown is called and all I came up with is "godet" or "back panel." So, my first question is, does this piece have a special name?

Second, I'm placing in a panel into a mermaid shaped gown. It is long and will train on the floor for a few inches. I've seen dresses in stores doing this a variety of ways but can't find good instructions for this. For example, some appear over the seam, some under the seam, some are gathered, some aren't. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Do you mean like this?
I think it is called a godet.

    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

If you look at the pattern linked below, it looks like they seam the back of the dress and then add the godets as triangular shaped pieces of fabric that gets sewn into the seam for the added fullness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dress with Godets pattern

    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trina Werkema

So sorry for the delay! I kept waiting for an email that i received a reply but never got one so I didn't check the forum.

That dress (red one) is exactly what I mean. In the photo you posted, it looks like it's pinched or something above the surround material. I'm not sure the best method to do that to make sure the train falls above the material and not below.

Also, any idea if they line or poof up this part of the dress to give it body?

    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 12:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trina Werkema

For anyone else with similar questions, I ended up doing slight gathering at the top of the train shape before sewing it in. This created some additional draping from the top of the godet. I also hand sewed a couple of stiches about half an inch from the top of the godet where the godet joined both sides of the skirt (connected the two side seams together and forced the godet away from the body) to poof it out just a tiny bit. It's looking great.

    Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh a pic when it's done!

    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:08AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
Upper Thread will not pick up Bobbin Thread.
Hi, I have a Brother XL3100 and the upper thread will...
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Handmade Children's Flowers Ivory New Zealand Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Guildhall Wall Sconce
Charles Grande Wool Loveseat in Dark Gray
$699.00 | LexMod
Madera Antique Forged Iron with Aged Walnut One-Light Sconce
$103.50 | Bellacor
Fusion All-Weather Wicker Sectional Set - Seats 8 - EEI-722-EXP-ORA-SET
Hide Tablet Case by Tom Dixon
$200.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™