armhole sizes

carol4457February 12, 2007

I find all the tops I make, both knit and woven have a strange wrinkle that starts from underarm and goes toward the neck. As a test I increased the armhole size by 1inch and that took care of the wrinkles but now the front of the arnhole fits weird. My question is can you increase just the back arhmole and leave the front alone? And if so, how would you redraw the sleeve? Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

All patterns have ease built into the seam allowances.Are you matching up your notches,and your shoulder seam to shoulder seam and underarm to the underarm seam.If you are doing these things,then you shouldn't be having that problem.Also on wovens,ie cottons etc you may need to run a basting line of stitches on the sleeve to help ease it in.On knit,pins should be enough.Make sure to read your directions on your pattern,especially if you are fairly new to sewing.
HTH
Kathi

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 12:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Woodsy

carol
perhaps it isn't the armhole, but the measurement across your back that needs increased. I've had this happen. I had to add to the fold line on the upper back pattern piece. You might just need a little more ease across your back.
good luck!

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Small washcloths
I am fussy about big terrycloth washcloths that are...
barb_roselover_in
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™