Pillowcase dresses

thelmaleeFebruary 24, 2007

I have finally tried to make a pillowcase dress and was pleased with the results. My question is how long to make them for size 2-4 or size 4 or 6. I plan to make some for a craft show March 10. I enjoy the forum and read it every day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loganhogan

I have found that 23 inches is a very good length for craft shows. It's a dress for younger girls and a swing top for the older ones.
Susan

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 6:55PM
thelmalee

Thank you loganhogan. I appreciate the info. One more question - How many inches from the top of the fold to the under arm seam? If I knew how I would post a picture of my two dresses already made!

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 3:30PM
loganhogan

I'm not real sure what you're asking, I think you're wanting a depth for the armhole? I do a one inch casing for the ribbon on each of my dresses. If you'll email me (click on my name and it will let you email me) I'll send you a scan of one of my armholes.
In this picture you can see the curve of the armhole pretty good. I was sweating it on the doll, the mom took great measurements for me, thank goodness.

Susan

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 5:47PM
kimntrent

I love the pillowcase dress style. There is one on this board with pantaloons that is amazing. My problem is the armholes. Even for bigger kids I suck at it. They look too small for me. Can anyone help?

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 6:38PM
loganhogan

i've posted a bunch of pics so I don't know if you're talking about one of my sets or not. The thing to remember with the armholes is they are adjustable with the ribbon. If you'll email me I'll email you an armhole template. Sometimes I will cut it a little bigger if I'm doing it to be worn over a shirt or for a much bigger child.
Susan

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 8:42PM
thelmalee

Susan, I have sent two e-mails through your "My Page" on this foram but not sure if they are going through. I would love to have your armhole template and I so unsure of how large to cut the hole. I know you adjust it with the ribbon but if it is too large you can't pull it up enough for a small dress and too small you can't pull the top up enough for a top for a larger girl. I am interested in a dress for a 2-4 year old and top for 6-8 year ole. My email address is tsan@mindspring.com.
Thanks for all your informaiton. I love this forum.
Thelma

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 10:14AM
loganhogan

Thelma,
I haven't gotten the emails so here's my addy for anybody who needs it. I'll email you the template.
LoganHogan@aol.com.
Susan

Bookmark   March 2, 2007 at 9:15AM
speechgarden

So cute! Where do you find the best pillowcases? Is there a place online to find more detailed instructions?

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 12:57PM
loganhogan

I make most of mine from fabric because it is cheaper. I've bought vintage pillowcases from ebay. I don't know what you can find on-line as far as directions. I wrote my own 2 yrs ago when Mother and I came up with our arm hole guide. Recently I saw where somebody was selling directions on ebay that was supposed to be a pdf file that included pictures of each step. That's a thought if you don't find detailed free ones.
Susan

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Sponsored Products
Hip Doggie Pink Heart Wave Collar - HD-4PHC-XS
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Green Chevron Square Lamp Shade 11x11x9.5 (Spider)
$59.91 | Lamps Plus
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1 Light Outdoor Pendant Black Finish Clear Beveled Gl
$54.00 | Home Depot
Gray Cotton Rich Sheet Set
$49.99 | zulily
Standard Sham - WHITE/CHAMPAGNE
$169.00 | Horchow
Cinderella Pink Five-Light Chandelier with Pink and Green Beaded Flower on White
$633.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™