Second floor is slanted.

GodblessourhomeAugust 20, 2012

I am in need of help.

This is our first house. Our house was built in 1930. It seemed like the previous owners did NOTHING to fix up this house whatsoever. I mean NOTHING. So we knew we were getting a fixer upper. We did everything right. We got an inspector to come and everything. And we passed. The problem is that he did not notice that my ceiling is caving in or that there is a slant going towards the left side of the house upstairs on the second floor. We found out later it was because the previous owners of the house decided to open up the dining room and living room without a support beam. To make matters worse, we have no idea how long it has been this way and if it is safe or will we eventually find the bathroom and bedrooms in our living room/dinning room.

We did not notice the slant until we were moved in. I noticed it first then showed it to my husband. We spoke to a handyman and he explained what was the cause and that he would be able to fix it for us. My thing is that I am not sure if we should use him because he a "does everything" handyman. I want someone who specializes in doing it. (I watch a lot of HGTV). So basically my DH and I are scared we will get someone to come in and do a half ass job and we would really be jacked up

My question(s) are: Where do we begin to look? In what field? Construction? Anyone had something like this done to their home? If so, how much are we expected to pay? After the work is done, do we need to get an inspector in to see if it passes inspection? Were do we find an inspector to do this? Are they the same as the ones you get to inspect your house before you purchase it? Do you think they will be able to level the second floor again?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

First, a house does not pass a home inspectors inspection. A home inspectors inspection is simply an opinion as to the condition of the structure. As you have discovered, he missed a huge problem.

Building inspections for code compliance are done by the local codes compliant office. Completely different people. To get a code inspection, you first get a permit to do the work. The inspection is part of that total process.

First, you need an architect to determine what repair is necessary. Then, you need to find a person/company with the expertise to follow the plans created by the architect. That type of repair is going to be something many handypersons and small construction companies may not have the necessary special equipment to do. That equipment can often be rented, however.

Cost will be related to what needs to be done---but it will probably be a minimum of two or three thousand dollars.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 1:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you thank you THANK YOU Handymac. Because we had no idea. So basically I have to look for a architect and then a construction company that will follow what the architect says?

    Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

First, you need an architect to determine what repair is necessary. "

Sounds more like a structural engineer with experie3nce in wood construction would be better.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, I'd call a structural engineer first to get an idea of the complexity of the job and to learn if it's even safe to occupy the house. A licensed general contractor experienced in remodels would probably be sufficient to tackle the job after you get the report on how the structure needs to be supported.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ok. I just set up an appt with an engineer for this Sat. Thanks again!

    Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 4:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

good deal, let us know the findings.

best of luck.

    Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 6:29PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™